- 250 gr basmati rice (for example Tilda)
- 2 potatoes
- butter or sunflower oil
- 4-5 Tbsp dried barberries (zereshk)
- some sugar
- Follow the instruction of the recipe Persian Rice till step number 6
- while steaming the rice soak the barberries short in some water, then take a little pan melt some butter or take some oil add the barberries and let them fry for a moment. Then add some sugar and stir again, till soft but not falling apart.
- When the rice is done carefully give the saffron rice in a cup and put one-third of the white rice on a tray. Add one-third of the barberries on top of it. Then again white rice, then barberries, white rice, barberries. At the end give the saffron rice on top of it. Put the crispy potato around it.
- Ready to serve.
- dried barberries you can get in each Iranian supermarket, ask for Zereshk
- be careful while frying the barberries they can burn fast
- if they are too sour for you, add some more sugar
- zereshk polo goes very good with grilled chicken